August. I love it because it’s my birthday month and still summer and carefree and all that. But I have to say, it’s not the easiest time to look pretty and polished.
No matter what you do, your makeup wants to slide right off your face. And you gotta take preventative measures to even have a fighting chance.
To maintain a matte finish, or at least start matte and end up fresh and radiant, I suggest the following 5 face prep products before even thinking about color. And also, throw a mirror in your purse, no matter how small. August is a time for touchups, or at least mirror check-ins to see how it’s all holding up.
1. Boscia No Pores No Shine T-Zone Treatment, $36. This product minimizes pores while controlling shine. Double whammy! It’s cruelty-free and vegan and contains no harsh chemicals. Glide a thin layer over your T-zone (where shine is most prevalent) at the start of any makeup application. It’s a step most will skip but is truly worthwhile!
2. Illuminaré Mattifying Mineral Foundation SPF20, $27. While I prefer the Moisturizing Mineral Foundation from this brand, a dewy finish may not be what you want to start with come August. This formula stayed matte for me through a 12-hour indoor/outdoor shoot on a 90 degree day. I mean, if that doesn’t impress… ?!?! I was in complete awe. I met a mentor/dear-friend for drinks that evening and both she and her colleague asked me, unprompted, what makeup I was wearing because it looked so great. WHAT??! When does that really happen, ever, after that kind of day.
3. Marc Jacobs #Instamarc Light Filtering Contour Powder in Mirage Filter, $49. Let me start here by saying for flawless contour and highlight, I strongly believe that starting with liquids or creams is the way to go, even if you set in powder. Yes, it’s another step and requires (a little) more time and (a little) more product, but it really looks best. Having said that, whether you choose to thinly layer this over your liquids/creams — or not, this powder contour/highlight palette will be your friend. It has NO SHIMMER and the yellow shade beautifully warms and enhances skintones while the taupey brown shade creates realistic “shadows” for the illusion of more sculpted features. Leave it to MJ for the win! NOTE: In August especially, but also always, apply minimal amounts of makeup and add on if you need more. Don’t start with more than you need, otherwise you risk cake face. Which is CRIMINAL in August when all that product may lift or slide.
4. IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Finishing Powder, $24. In lieu of the contour/highlight powder (if you are going for a more natural, undone look), this translucent finishing powder absorbs oil, sets makeup and blurs the appearance of pores and wrinkles. It also doesn’t settle into fine lines, making them ultimately look worse. No one needs that shock when they come across a mirror later on! This product also doesn’t contain garbage ingredients; It is made with collagen, pure silk and vitamins K, A, C and E. I took it with me to Sonoma while attending a wedding weekend recently and I really liked the finish and also that verrry little was needed to do the job. The fluffy brush (sold separately) is a MUST-HAVE. Heavenly is an appropriate adjective for this Heavenly Luxe Wand Ball Powder Brush, $48.
5. Supergoop Defense Refresh Setting Mist with Rosemary SPF 50, $28. This triple threat (1) sets makeup (2) controls oil and shine and (3) protects against harmful sun rays and damage. It is THE BOMB. It dries in 5-10 seconds and imparts a matte finish while locking your makeup application in place. It also is super sheer and refreshing and – at the same time – incredibly effective. The rosemary also improves your complexion over time with repeated use. Everyone should own this. Young, old, boy, girl, EVERYONE.
So there you have it. 5 products for matte maintenance at a time you need them most.
Happy August, divas!!
NOTE: This post is not sponsored. All thoughts are unbiased and my own. Samples were provided for editorial consideration and/or my use as a professional makeup artist. All photos are property of DIVAlicious.
Lauren Cosenza is the creator and editor-in-chief of DIVAlicious, a trusted beauty/fashion expert, an on-camera personality and spokesperson, a leading NYC-based professional makeup artist, a published contributor and writer, a brand consultant, a product junkie and an insatiable style seeker — with a former life at Cosmopolitan and Shape magazines.
Serving up style with a side of attitude, her site DIVAlicious gives women (and men) the confidence and permission to be fabulous. The site is filled with must-have products, pro tips and tricks, how-to DIY tutorials, makeovers, style inspiration and insider access. Topics range from beauty, fashion, culture, career, fitness, wellbeing, men’s and unisex offerings.