We all love ‘em, but let’s face it, sometimes we get… tied up.
Ties are perfect for the season, most certainly unisexxxy and of course an “any-wear” style – as in, appropriate anytime, anywhere. From weekend wear to black tie, the right tie with the right knot will give you just the right amount of edge or polish, depending on your desired look. So it’s important to know your stuff.
Here for DIVAlicious, fashion expert Michael Mills gives us the step-by-step on how to tie three knots, from beyond basic to skillz-required advanced.
LDiva and I, of course, follow along (as best we can) and match off with each.
First up is the most versatile: The Single Knot.
1. Start off with wide end a little longer on left side.
2. Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
3. Pull the wide end behind the narrow end.
4. Bring the wide end around. It should be facing off to your left.
5. Bring the wide end under the narrow end again.
6. Pull the wide end of the tie under the loop around your neck.
7. Pull the wide end down & through the knot at the front of the tie.
8. Tighten the knot by sliding it up the narrow end. Straighten tie and fix length to your liking (formal protocol is typically at, or just above, the waist).
Next…we doubled up! Adding some serious swag with The Double Windsor Knot.
1. Place the tie face-up around your neck with the wide end on your left and slightly below the narrow end.
2. Cross the wide end to the right over the narrow end.
3. Wrap around the narrow end and pull to the left
4. Again, pull the wide end over the narrow end to the right.
5. Wrap around the narrow end and pull to the left.
6. Repeat step 4. Note that the wide end is looped around the narrow end three times.
7. Bring the wide end up and pull it through the back of the loop.
8. Hold the front of the tie with your index finger. Then, bring the wide end down through the front of the knot and gently tighten.
Ready to make a bold statement? This knot is badass. Like Missy Elliot once said, I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it… Check out The Pratt Knot.
1. Start with the tie inside out with the wide end hanging on the right, and the narrow end on the left.
2. Cross the wide end under the narrow end.
3. Bring the wide end over the loop around the neck.
4. Pull the wide end under to complete the loop around the neck. Tighten.
5. Bring the wide end over the narrow end, from left to right.
6. Pull the wide end up through the loop.
7. Bring the wide end down all the way through the knot in the front.
8. Shape the knot into a triangle shape and pull on the narrow end to fasten the tie along the collar.
Of course, it wouldn’t be UNISEXXXY without a few fumbles, lots of laughs and big love…
I present… THE OUTTAKES.
THE UNISEXXX® BRAND: a label stripped of all labels™
UNISEXXXY: universal beauty fashion design lifestyle
THE BEST. So much fabulousness in this post, I can’t handle! Not to mention, it’s actually super helpful!
PS ~ that GIF with you spanking Paul with the tie is AMAZE. Hahaha <3
Definitely one of Paul’s best UNISEXXXY posts!!
And I think I’m going to start rockin’ some ties this fall. DIVA does Androgynous…